[Linux-aus] FTA circumvention devices

Michael Davies michael at msdavies.net
Fri Mar 5 11:54:02 UTC 2004

<quote who="Christopher Yeoh">
> At 2004/3/5 14:19+1100  Rusty Russell writes:
>>
>> I don't honestly believe you think we have nothing to worry about.  I
>> think your points are well-meaning, but I don't want any of my friends
>> to go through a trial and risk gaol time to demonstrate it 8(
>>
>> Talking here doesn't help avoid that.
>
> The wording in the agreement is not easy to interpret. I think the most
> beneficial thing at the moment would be to get a lawyer with
> intellectual property experience to look at it, and let us know if we
> understand it correctly. At least then we are able to lobby the
> various parties with a correct understanding of the changes that would
> occur, and how they will affect us.

Agree.  But the time is now.  This will all be water under the bridge
unless the Australian IT industry (and the free and open-source software
subset of that) stands up now and says that this is wrong and bad for
Australia.

Lawyers are getting involved, as are representative organisations, but we
all need to do our bit.

--
Michael Davies               Linux.Conf.Au Canberra Apr 18-23 2005
michael at msdavies dot net  Australia's National Linux Conference