[Linux-aus] Re: [LACTTE] Re: Financial information in public committee minutes

Mark Tearle mtearle at tearle.com
Sun Jun 20 10:42:33 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 12:36, Stewart Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 11:57:20AM +1000, Del wrote:
> > >Mark's reports to the committee are normally quite detailed, and I am
> > >not clear on why this hasn't bubbled through to the public minutes.
> > >Andrew, what is the rationale behind this?
> >
> > It doesn't need to be that detailed.  It just needs to be the YTD
> > income, expenses, opening balance, closing balance.  Perhaps with
> > last year's YTD and total figures as well.  4 lines is all that's
> > really needed.
>
> These are actually pretty hard numbers to come by (as i understand it)
> as you have the bank balances, what has yet to be processed and all that
> stuff. So there's manual work in getting all this done and
> ('consolidating' - sounds like a money word) the accounts.
>
> Mark does give us a real detailed view on the current scenario to the
> ctte list, although this is largely unofficial due to the "this still
> has to go through" and "we're waiting for this to show up" bits of it.
> So, as for not making it all into the public minutes, it's probably due
> to these ambiguities and not wanting to put things down that were
> prepared as a status report and not as official financial documents.
>
> although all this accounting stuff scares me and i'm no export - so
> maybe add salt to taste.

Stewart's summary basically sums it all up as to the current status of
things; I'm slowly getting things to the point where I can give these
answers readily - and looking at improving the processes for the next
financial year/conference.

Mark
--
Mark Tearle - treasurer at linux.org.au - fax: +61 2 8211 5211

Linux Australia Inc. - ABN 56 987 117 479
GPO Box 4788,  Sydney NSW 2001, Australia