[Linux-aus] Novell v. SCO: The Telling Blow? (by Steve V-N and a good lawyer)

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Jun 14 09:00:01 UTC 2004

<quote>
And last, but by no means least, the same judge told SCO that its case
over who really owns Unix's copyright, Novell or SCO, would be fought
out in federal court instead of in state court.

Now, if you didn't have a scorecard, you might think the last point was
the smallest one. But if you've been playing along at home, or at
Groklaw anyway, you'll know that the seemingly small change in venue is
all-important.

That's because it completely changes the rules by which SCO will have to
show that it, and not Novell, owns Unix's copyright. And without that
copyright, all of those other cases SCO is pursuing against AutoZone,
DaimlerChrysler, IBM and Red Hat fall apart like a house of cards in a
summer thunderstorm.

I'm no lawyer; I'm just a working journalist who's been following SCO
since the late 1980s. But heck, you don't have to take my word that SCO
may now be in serious legal hot water. Let me introduce you to Michael
R. Graham, intellectual property attorney and partner with the
Chicago-based law firm Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP.
</quote>

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Vice President, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA