[Linux-aus] Lobbying government peoples

Jacqueline McNally j-conversations at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Jul 2 19:18:01 UTC 2004

Pia Smith wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been speaking to my local member of parliament, Tanya Plibersek
> (http://tanyaplibersek.com/copyright.htm) and I wanted to say a big warm
> WELL DONE to Rusty, Craig Warner, and others who have successfully been
> getting our message through. Anyone who hasn't get at least spoken to
> their local member, you should. The problem is that the issues have not
> been taken seriously by enough pollies, and we need to ensure that we
> educate at least one of them... each :)
>
> Ring, or write (paper!) soon, as we are running out of time. Remember
> that email is worth very little, so type and print it out, then (gasp)
> post it :)
>
> Good luck all, we do have some power here and after all, what is the use
> of freedom if you don't bother to exercise it :)

We did this prior to the last election. Even shared our research with
three streets of neighbours by doing a mail drop providing links to
websites and email addresses for the candidates.

What was alarming were the number of candidates that were computer
illiterate. I saw it as an opportunity, as it is much easier to talk
to someone about alternatives when they are not already ingrained :)

Who will I vote for? The individual or party who responds promptly to my
questions with informed and pertinent answers. Being able to do this by
return email is a plus. Waiting three months until after the election is
definitely a no vote (several Liberals).

All the best
Jacqueline McNally

--
OOo in Berlin