[Linux-aus] Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Fri Jan 30 13:08:01 UTC 2004

Yeh, South Australia spent $10.5 million for a 3 year cycle as well
,until Feb 2006, http://www.tenders.sa.gov.au/contract/view.do?id=639

But that is something the likes of OSV can take up with the powers that
be. And voters with their MPs. That has to be addressed at the top.
There are receptive people within these organisations and we need to
work with them to see what we can do to help them.

My guess is that one thing we can do to help at a grass roots level is
demystify OSS for educators and show them benefits of using OSS from a
teaching perspective. Once you are dealing with Teachers I think you
need to address the educational benefits not cost or technology. I think
that should be the focus of an OSS Educational Roadshow.

So I am not saying that cost isn't an issue. It certainly is (it all
adds up). But it isn't the only issue, or I think, the main one to
tackle at the school level.

A lot of people in education see software licensing as a necessary
expense, and one that they got at bargain basement prices compared to
everyone else. They think MS software is all there is, and they get to
take it home for free. It is already there and working. We need to think
of more reasons to push change than just cost.