[Linux-aus] Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Fri Jan 30 16:39:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:14:32PM +1100, Brad Hards wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:04 pm, Stewart Smith wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 14:07, Ben Jensz wrote:
> > > $10 million is a lot of computers that they could be buying.  I mean
> > > think if they are spending $1200 per computer, saving $10 million means
> > > they could buy well over 8000 extra computers.  Thats something to
> > > definitely make you stop and think about isn't it?
> >
> > Or, think of it in Australian Open Source Developer/support JOBS! wow,
> > money in .au, jobs in .au and better systems for .edu.au!
>

> I'm not sure how widespread this is, but I don't particularly care if there is
> a lot of money to be made out of FOSS. I have a job - it has nothing to do
> with FOSS (no more than any other Australian business has FOSS software
> involvement anyway). Linux, KDE and the other projects I work on is a hobby,
> thats all.
>
> Can Linux Australia please continue to represent people like me too?

the model that a few of us have represented is that Linux Australia should
indeed continue to represent people like you, who are in the majority of
the FOSS community.

Australian ICT industry development issues, along with import replacement
opportunities using FOSS, could be the domain of the Open Source Industry
group. I do see a clean demarcation of representation.

In essence, many of the same people from LA, the LUGs and AUUG will be
using the Industry group to express specific views and to further specific
business programmes, just as they will continue to support LA etc. for
community development and technical programmes.