[Linux-aus] Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?

Michael Davies michael at msdavies.net
Thu Jan 29 10:50:02 UTC 2004

<quote who="Anthony Towns">
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:07:32PM +1030, Michael Davies wrote:
>> > Just what we need - *another* organisation in the FOSS space in
>> > Australia trying to be the voice to the outside world! :-(
>
> I wonder if we should stop worrying about this and maybe start treating
> it as a feature instead of a bug. I mean, as long as we don't end
> up balkanizing or trying to compete with each other for members, then
> there's no big problem here. And on the upside, if LA or AUUG go
> insane, or get sued out of existance, the other organisations can keep
> on going and talking to each other and whatnot without any major
> problems.
>
> (Although, keeping the number down so it's obvious which organisations
> any particular person wants to join, and so there aren't too many of
> them that it gets confusing is a win, naturally)

There's just a lot of organisation and cost that goes on running a group
(which are unavoidable).  Not Invented Here (NIH) happens in code, let's
not let it happen in our organisations!  Think why it can't be part of
something we already have, rather than automatically thinking a new group
for a new idea.

--
Michael Davies               Linux.Conf.Au Canberra Apr 18-23 2005
michael at msdavies dot net  Australia's National Linux Conference