[Linux-aus] Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Thu Jan 29 10:39:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:07:32PM +1030, Michael Davies wrote:
> > Just what we need - *another* organisation in the FOSS space in Australia
> > trying to be the voice to the outside world! :-(

I wonder if we should stop worrying about this and maybe start treating
it as a feature instead of a bug. I mean, as long as we don't end
up balkanizing or trying to compete with each other for members, then
there's no big problem here. And on the upside, if LA or AUUG go insane,
or get sued out of existance, the other organisations can keep on going
and talking to each other and whatnot without any major problems.

(Although, keeping the number down so it's obvious which organisations
any particular person wants to join, and so there aren't too many of
them that it gets confusing is a win, naturally)

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:44:38PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Mmmm. I really hope that such a group would be part of, or at the very
> least, strongly affiliated with Linux Australia.

Well, the way LA "sub groups" work at the moment is as (almost) entirely
independent operations anyway -- see the LCA organising ctte and the
LUGs, etc. So having a new organisation, even one that's incorporated
isn't really different -- if the new organisation wants to make use of
LA's insurance, or funds, or servers, or incorporation, or whatever, it's
easy to work with LA and do that; and if you change your mind later and
want to have your own membership, or bank account, or fees, or whatever,
it's easier to do that if you're already a separate organisation.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004