[Linux-aus] Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?

Brent Wallis (IS) bw at wallis.id.au
Thu Jan 29 10:57:02 UTC 2004

Hi,

Ryan Verner <xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au> wrote ..
> On 29/01/2004, at 1:16 PM, Brent Wallis (IS) wrote:
> > "Forking" ones marketing efforts is not a good thing to do....in fact,
> > it will have a very opposite affect to what everyone seems to want to
> > achieve.
>
> When there's (at least) two very, very different mentalities, and
> target audiences, some of which can have very alternative views, there
> has to be separate bodies representing the OSS community, otherwise I
> personally don't see it working.  That said though, these bodies do
> need to work very closely together.

Nothing personal here mind you, but unless both target audiences are marketed to by a UNIFIED entity, you WILL end up with a disaster that some M$ PR yodel will have a field day with. What you suggest here is quite silly to be honest, it would be like the Scouting Movement splitting in 2 to cater for each gender.

YES, there are 2 different sets of people that need to get the message, but only ONE ENTITY should create the 2 messages.

A real world example would be marketing something like Coke world wide. Someone sets the rules with enough leeway to allow individual countries to "adjust" there message to their own audience.

Rgds
BW