[Linux-aus] LCA2006 (was: Broome 2006)

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Fri Jan 23 10:15:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 16:41, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> It's pretty much the same as Perth from the east coast

I also agree it's not a show stopper.

> The major sponsors are supportive

This is important to point out - most major multinationals (whether we
like it or not) group Australia and New Zealand into the same market,
and would (based on feedback I've heard) not be adverse at all to host
the annual conference in NZ.

--

Certainly all our banking arrangements, etc are all viable cross
straight, as is our insurance coverage, etc. So again, not a show

There IS obviously a huge political issue around the name .au, and so IF
we were to choose to go with a NZ conference, and hypothetically if it
were to be called LCNZ because of such sensitivities, we would just have
to agree not to hold a competing LCA in A that year - which is fair
enough.

--

This is all only to say that we're not close minded to the idea of going
to U of Otago - but likewise no decision has been made (and we should be

Personally, I'd like to have a pretty good idea of the venue for 2006 by
the end of winter, but that's not set in stone either.

As far as I can see we will have three bids that look like they'll pass
the critical mass test: Melbourne, Dunedin and Hobart.

Cheers,

AfC