[Linux-aus] LCA2006

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jan 23 11:37:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Andrew Cowie wrote:

> As far as I can see we will have three bids that look like they'll pass
> the critical mass test: Melbourne, Dunedin and Hobart.

Personally, whilst I have not yet been to an LCA or CALU (as it used to
be called), I think that it would be appropriate to hold the 2006 one in
Hobart, with consideration for Darwin for the 2007 one.

For 2006, as has been mentioned, there are only two states/territories
that have not yet hosted an LCA/CALU; Tasmania and the NT. Tasmania
appears to be up to it, for 2006 (apart from those nasty, man eating
Tasmanian ants that we saw on TV when this year's conference was on,
that apparently kill an adult human in less than half an hour, with the
venom from a single ant). And, with the new north-south railway line
Adelaide to Darwin, which is expected to open up Darwin and the NT, and
cause a growth boom, Darwin could be big enough, and have a strong
enough Linux community, to host a 2007 conference.

Of course, the "bids" to hold the conferences would need to show that
they are up to it, but that appears reasonable - Hobart in 2006, and
Darwin in 2007, providing they are up to hosting the conferences.

I think that a location in NZ, should be out of the question, unless and
until NZ becomes a state of Australia, due to the logistic, legal, and
fiscal issues. One simple example is the difference in the tax systems,
that would be applicable, specifically, the GST recording and liability,
to both governments. Also, there is the aspect that anyone going to NZ,
needs a passport, and, in consideration of current and past trends, it
is possible that visas may be required by 2006, for travel between the
two countries. And, the issue of medical coverage, etc, should a person
at the conference need medical treatment. And, different drug
regulations apply; for example, codeine is a prescription-only drug in
NZ, so panadeine, etc, require prescriptions in NZ.

So, I believe that there are too many issues and problems, with
holding a conference in NZ, while the two are separate counries with
separate laws and separate tax systems.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale