[Linux-aus] State representation on the board

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sat Jan 10 17:35:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Stewart Smith wrote:

> Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:19:35 +1100
> From: Stewart Smith <stewart at linux.org.au>
> To: Anthony Towns <aj at azure.humbug.org.au>
> Cc: Linux Australia <linux-aus at linux.org.au>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] State representation on the board
>
> On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 12:39, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > communication with local groups is *the* core task of the LA ctte IMO;
>
> This is actually contrary to what we discussed in the ctte face2face
> meeting in sydney where AfC did a wonderful job in helping us map out
> what type of org we are so we were all on the same set of rails.
>
> We decided that no matter what - we should facilitate a great linux
> technical conference (LCA) and we would be failing in our roles if we
> let anything jeopardize that (like spending all the money).
>
> This, as i hope others will agree, should be the first priority - with
> other things coming second. A lot of things want to be in that 2nd place
> though :)
>
> We're getting better :) and hey, it's great that such debate is alive
> and well on the list.

I understood that, a couple of years ago, I think, the issue was raised
that a committee for organising conferences, and, the LA committee, were
to remain two completely (as in activities) separate committees, and
that the conference organising committee was to solely deal with
organising conferences, and only that committee was to do that, and
that the LA committee's role was to deal with issues (apart from the
annual conference, apart from assistance, if requested) affecting the
Linux community across Australia.

I hope that I have put that clearly, as the separation of the roles of
the two committees.

Perhaps, someone could correct me, if I am wrong. I think the
discussions would be in the archives, from a year or a couple of years
ago.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale