[Linux-aus] Media Officer Now

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.org.au
Fri Feb 6 12:09:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 11:51, Marco Ostini wrote:
> I'm inclined to think that it needs to be a new position on the LA executive.

I'm increasingly fond of the "Media Officer" idea, I'm generally opposed
to adding extra committee positions. Maybe someone on the ctte will want
this role, maybe somebody external to the ctte will want it (and I'd
welcome variation). But I've seen what happens to huge ctte based orgs,
and it's not pretty.

(it all comes back to my "You don't have to be on the committee to
contribute" point, and one which I know some of the LUG cttes also have
to face)

> And the whole MyDoom fluff-fest is proof that we (the Linux/FOSS
> community) are not appropriately organised relative to mainstream media
> to respond swiftly & on topic to particular public concerns.

The biggest "woah" response I've had has been to a BBC article that was
pretty much bordering on defamation. A well worded and careful response
in a situation such as this would be a good thing, plus the words "Linux
Australia" at the bottom would make people think we had some weight :)

> But please also remember, 80% of the Media Officer's tasks will involve
> lots of quiet communication with mainstream media, just as Leon
> suggested; Enough so as not to be forgotten, but not too much to be annoying.

i.e. going down the pub for a beer with them every so often.

> Could we discuss the position of Media Officer please.

I'd quite like someone to volunteer to be a media relations person.
although i feel that it may just be a press/publicity person (drafting
press releases etc).... who knows...

/me calls for volunteers!

--
Stewart Smith (stewart at linux.org.au)