[Linux-aus] Media Officer Now

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Feb 5 04:02:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Con Zymaris wrote:

> Guys, it's not enough to just hand out flashy-looking CDs though. Think
> about it. How many 'free' CDs have you been handed out in the past 5
> years? How many of those have you actually bothered to installed? I've
> lost count of the hundreds of free CD's that are piling up on my shelves
> gathering dust.

The Canberra AUUG chapter dealt with this by running a symposium aimed
solely at teachers. It turned out that the IT teachers group (club,
association, whatever) in the ACT was approved to run in-services for
teachers. Once we had them onboard, our couple of hours of why Open Source
is cool counted as an in-service.

Teachers have ongoing training requirements imposed on them from the
department -- in other words, they _must_ attend a bunch of in-services
each year. You just need to structure your oo.org demo / installfest in a
way which makes it pallatable for them.

I assume that other states have similar associations for teachers which
are always looking for content.

Cheers,
Mikal

--