[Linux-aus] Media Officer Now

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Wed Feb 4 19:23:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:26, Con Zymaris wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 05:00:46PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>> Debian has *lots* of flamewars in public. It's far less bothersome
>> than you'd expect. And if you hold them in public in the first
>> place, at least if it gets reported more widely than you might like
>> you can just say "yes, that's the way we do things; it can be
>> tough, but it strengthens the conclusions we end up with" and,
>> well, people tend to be able to deal with it.

>> Secrecy's something to avoid wherever possible, and then some.

> I'm with Leon.

> marketing and positioning strategies, and how they are achieved,
> should not be information widely disseminated.

Yes. I think the key issue is that Debian is not percieved as attacking
commercial enterprises. I'm sure many analysts foolishly overlook it
for this very reason.

What we're planning to do with media will ruffle feathers to the extent
that we should expect commercial espionage.

I say this despite being a great believer in public-where-possible.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Past Committee Member, Linux Australia