[Linux-aus] Media Officer Now

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Wed Feb 4 11:47:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:06, Marco Ostini wrote:
> I hate it when events over take you.

Seconded.

> You see, LA can't just release one press release to react to SCO/MS
> FUDing over MyDoom, it needs to be an ongoing relationship with the
> mainstream media, so they begin to understand some of the FOSS
> concepts that we all take for granted.

Yes. And often enough to keep the relationship alive but seldom enough
to not get wearing and unprofitable.

> *Rusty, or someone from Au equally respected appearing on Denton's
> Enough Rope,

...and woe betide anyone who quotes that in his tagline... (-:

> *Linus on Letterman.

Or anywhere. The dude is a marvel of unflappability.

> Without this struggle for hearts and minds of ordinary people we
> provide an environment ripe for lots of FUDing by those who want
> penguin blood.

True.

> So could we have a serious discussion of the formation of a "Media
> Officer" for LA please.

Or at least a media liason process, starting with a dedicated page and
an email alias.

I think a small subcomittee and private list of maybe three to five
people, and make it be that potential and final releases need to be
enlisted and CC'ed to committee@ in case there's any faux pas in there
that need mentioning, then passed by at least two from media@ and
vetoed by none before launch. I want something which can be fast if
needed, but doesn't burden the main committee any further.

Oh, and anyone's free to propose content.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Past Committee Member, Linux Australia