[Linux-aus] Leon's message relating to the FTA

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Aug 27 15:33:01 UTC 2004

I have received a message from Leon, relating to the FTA, addressed to
Mark Latham and Stephen Conroy.

The email wasn't addressed to the Linux Australia list, so I assume that
it was Bcc'd to the list. Whether that was intentional, is unknown.

I note that a message that I sent to the four WA ALP senators, was
acknowledged by only one - Ruth Webber, who sent me a letter. However, I
have not received a response to my response to that letter.

In my response to the letter from Senator Ruth Webber, I stated a few
things; that as John Hewson had said, most Australians lack an adequate
understanding of the proposed trade agreement and its implications, that
Australians, as the people to be affected by the proposed trade
agreement, have a right to be properly informed about the proposed trade
agreement, and, that, as Australian voters are the people to be affected
by the proposed trade agreemenmt, the decision of whether the proposed
trade agreement would be implemented, should be decided by the
Australian people, by referendum, so that the decsision should be made
by the people of Australia, who should be properly informed as to the
implications of the proposed trade agreement. I also said that it is my
understanding that the proposed trade agreement had the potential to
destroy the Australian IT industry, quite apart from the Australian
sugar industry, due to the intellectual property aspects. I also said
that the proposed trade agreement should not be referred to as a frett
trade agreement, as it does not involve free trade, it is merely a
trade agreement. I believe that the sugar component and the
agriculture compionent, are just some of the aspects where it will
clearly not involve free trade.

If we do not decide such a controversial issue, by referendum, with the
people being properly informed, then  we are merely the subjects of a
dictatorial ruling class, with no say in the significant issues that
affect us.

It is my experience, that almost all members of federal parliament
regard members of the public, and, the opinions of members of the
public, as beneath them, as they appear to regard themselves as members
of parliament, as being immune, in their ivory tower, to the concerns of
the common people. Perhaps that is why communications sent to federal
members of parliament, especially spokespeole for the formal
portfolio's, appear to generally disappear into the ether.

Maybe, one day, we will have a democracy, when the people have a say in
the government of the country.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale