[Linux-aus] Re: [Talk] SCO position, rationale and AUUG

Steve Landers steve at DigitalSmarties.com
Fri May 23 17:16:01 UTC 2003

Folks,

On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 05:02  PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> Seriously, we're discussing it.  We're all a bit upset about what's
> going on, but as an organization representing all UNIX users, it's not
> clear what we should do.  We can certainly point out factual errors,
> but since we haven't seen many facts, that's not going to be worth
> much.  I'll know more after the board meeting tomorrow.

There is also the danger of appearing reactionary.

If the objective is to give help keep people comfortable, and remove
the FUD factor then there's plenty of material in ESRs position paper
on the OSI site (http://www.opensource.org). Personally, I'd point to
that rather than argue the case ourselves.

One strategy is to quote people like ESR thus "well respected Open
Source advocates like Eric Raymond have pointed out numerous factual
errors and inconsistencies ... blah blah blah".

Then, in the unlikely event that SCO has a case and it is proven, AUUG
will at least have some credibility left ;-)

Cheers

Steve

--

Steve Landers                     Software Design Solutions
Digital Smarties                  steve at DigitalSmarties.com