[Linux-aus] Re: Statement on SCO

Brent Wallis brent.w at infosynergy.com.au
Thu May 22 10:23:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

Brent Wallis wrote:
> Hi,
>  2 cents worth of input..
>
> Jeff Waugh asked:
>
>>Who is the audience
>>(assuming that it's not the same audience
>>who have already read the OSI
>>position statement)?
>

> I think the target audience should be the SME that either could or
> does already make use of, a server Operating System that is Intel
> Based. Specifically those already use a "UNIX on Intel" setup, who
> were considering Linux.
>
> I have a specific case of this in the works. A 120 site Retailer with
> POS
> terminals networked in real time back to a Unixware 7 platform running

> an ERP app. A perfect candidate for a smooth RH AS server migration.
> The enterprise in question is cluefull, but the facts of this matter
are too complex
> for them to consider at the moment. They could "switch off" and go the
easy
> route. SCOs letter/actions for this audience suggest the dropping of
Linux

Andrae said:
>So you have lost money from this farce?  Have you approached the ACCC
>with a complaint of Misleading and Deceptive Conduct?
Not yet...:) I don't think it will actually come to that.
Approaching the ACCC, to me seems a difficult issue because the case is
in the US.

It's the "delay factor" that matters. The client is relatively high
profile
and a success in their systems (a given if we get the contract BTW)
would enable even more success.

Success breeds success....a very old concept.
FUD like SCOs (*spit*) is directed at de-stabilising this concept.

My concern falls mainly in the slowing down of enquiry and adoption
rates.
For this client, it could be RH Linux AS this half, next financial half,
it "could" be
200 odd Linux desktops. Everything hinges on a smooth and timely install
of that first
server. From our own point of view, a success with this client is worth
more in
the "look what Linux can do" arena than the immediate fee revenue.

I am sure it isn't just us either, and my concern (believe it or
not...)is for the community,
not just our pockets. Hell if we loose this, there are always others.

If the community is successful, then so are we.
If the FOSS community has sh**t flung at it and is perceived as
"inadequate"
we will suffer as well. It's all about perception and how the community
manages
it.

Rgds
BW