[Linux-aus] Re: Statement on SCO

Andrae Muys andrae.muys at braintree.com.au
Thu May 22 09:25:01 UTC 2003

Brent Wallis wrote:
> Hi,
>  2 cents worth of input..
>
> Jeff Waugh asked:
>
>>Who is the audience
>>(assuming that it's not the same audience
>>who have already read the OSI
>>position statement)?
>

> I think the target audience should be the SME that either could or does already
> make use of, a server Operating System that is Intel Based. Specifically those
> already use a "UNIX on Intel" setup, who were considering Linux.
>
> I have a specific case of this in the works. A 120 site Retailer with POS
> terminals networked in real time back to a Unixware 7 platform running
> an ERP app. A perfect candidate for a smooth RH AS server migration.
> The enterprise in question is cluefull, but the facts of this matter are too complex
> for them to consider at the moment. They could "switch off" and go the easy
> route. SCOs letter/actions for this audience suggest the dropping of Linux
> as the only easy answer.
>
> That's not correct, but it is what they
> suggest.

So you have lost money from this farce?  Have you approached the ACCC
with a complaint of Misleading and Deceptive Conduct?  In fact (while
IANAL) even if the complaint was demonstrated to be true, the
unsubstantiated threat of legal action almost certainly contravenes
multiple fair-trading regulations.  If you suffer loss to calumny, you
have legal and regulatory recourse.

As far as mentioning MS, I would recommend against any reference at all.
  We gain nothing from it, as the timing of the announcement was too
blatent to miss; while any mention will be spun to our detriment by any
MS sycophant who picks up on it.  Better to focus on the primary
objective, discrediting SCO.

Andrae Muys

--
Andrae Muys <andrae.muys at braintree.com.au>