[Linux-aus] Re: Statement on SCO

Brent Wallis brent.w at infosynergy.com.au
Wed May 21 20:51:01 UTC 2003

Hi,
 2 cents worth of input..

Jeff Waugh asked:
>Who is the audience
>(assuming that it's not the same audience
>who have already read the OSI
>position statement)?

I think the target audience should be the SME that either could or does already
make use of, a server Operating System that is Intel Based. Specifically those
already use a "UNIX on Intel" setup, who were considering Linux.

I have a specific case of this in the works. A 120 site Retailer with POS
terminals networked in real time back to a Unixware 7 platform running
an ERP app. A perfect candidate for a smooth RH AS server migration.
The enterprise in question is cluefull, but the facts of this matter are too complex
for them to consider at the moment. They could "switch off" and go the easy
route. SCOs letter/actions for this audience suggest the dropping of Linux
as the only easy answer.

That's not correct, but it is what they
suggest.

>Does this speak to them? Is it relevant to them?
>Does
>it provide more information to them than a
>pointer to and statement of
>support of the OSI position paper?

The audience I have suggested is not interested in the technical issues.
All comment from "our side" to date, has been directed at US, not the
end users in Enterprise. The comments are good, but they don't mean much
to an SME.

This particular audience, SMEs, may only chose to see
that SCO is taking the FOSS movement to task because of perceived
plagarism. So much so that SCO seek to charge Linux adopters for code
that has appeared in the SMEs chosen platform, namely Linux.

If "perception is swung a little further, Open Source for SMEs will suffer
a dramatic reversal in current enquiry rates....
(and I will be eating wheat instead of bread....:-)

>What is the message you're trying to get
>across to this audience?

Don't worry all you SMEs. This SCO thing is silly and we consider the whole
action a farce deemed to scare you away and prevent you from enjoying the
savings and robustness that is inherent in Open Source.

We need to offer up a suggestion for enterprises which reflects our concerns
but expresses our firm belief in the whole thing being nonsensical, a mere
sidestep towards the inevitable.

>Has someone already said it better?

No, and fairly soon, the issue will filter down from the technical arena
and it will be "demystified" for an SMEs easy consumption and understanding.

My humble opinion is that this is the area of concern and required action.

Can you get something out there that helps to influence the "demystifying text"
that will appear if this story gets really mainstream?
(By that I mean something like an extended Fin Review article in Fridays
edition...the one that an SME operator takes home on the weekend to read
and learn because the stories are pertinent yet written for easy
consumption...)

>Will this add to the debate, or detract
>from it through signal-to-noise?

If sustained "techy foot-stamping"* concerning this matter hit's an SMEs ears,
it will be a bounding leap back for the uptake of Free and Open Source Software.
This outcome would probably be fulfilling one of SCOs goals.

>It's a good doc, but I'm not sure who it's for / why it's needed / whether
>its better than existing material.

I concur, a good doc, and I think the idea is sound, but could you consider
the SME audience instead?

BW
*I do not suggest that anyone here is stamping their feet, but there is a rising
element of this in many lists and groups concerning SCO.