[Linux-aus] Grant Application #2

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com.au
Tue May 20 10:14:02 UTC 2003

[My, hasn't this thread wavered from it's title?]

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 11:22, Leon Brooks wrote:
> Anyone's welcome to get themselves elected (I rate my own election as
> proof that anyone can). Anyone's welcome to contribute, too, with or
> without office.

I'd like to pick up on Leon's last point. I've heard tell that one of
the challenges faced by many of the Community / User Group style
associations here in Australia is that the Committee ends up doing all
the work, to the benefit of the membership.

This is fine, of course, and willingness to put work in is one of the
criteria to being nominated to the Committee of any volunteer
organization.

I have, however, heard from quite a few people who indicate a
willingness to participate and contribute. You don't have to be on the
[managing] Committee [aka Board] of an organization to make a
difference! One of the reasons we put a fair number of things out to
this mailing list is to invite your feedback and comment. The other is
to invite participation; as we proceed towards encouraging and
supporting the community, we'll certainly be grateful of any help,
enthusiasm or energy you can provide.

There are a few projects and initiatives that we'll be circulating here.
You've already started to see requests for Grant support; there's
certainly the annual technical conference LCA which can always use your
help. We're working to implement a membership database so we can make
joining LA easier, to go along with a makeover of our website to make
information more accessible. And, we're looking into other ways to
support the community.

So, if you see something that catches your eye in the weeks and months
ahead, and you think you'd like to contribute, just let us know!

AfC
Secretary [until y'all boot me out next summer]
Linux Australia

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd

Australia +61 2 9977 6866  North America +1 646 270 5376

andrew at operationaldynamics.com.au