[Linux-aus] contributing to LA (was: Grant)

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue May 20 11:19:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003 10:12, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> [My, hasn't this thread wavered from it's title?]

Never seen _that_ happen before. (</sarcasm> :-)

> On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 11:22, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> Anyone's welcome to get themselves elected (I rate my own election
>> as proof that anyone can). Anyone's welcome to contribute, too,
>> with or without office.

> I'd like to pick up on Leon's last point. I've heard tell that one of
> the challenges faced by many of the Community / User Group style
> associations here in Australia is that the Committee ends up doing
> all the work, to the benefit of the membership.

> This is fine, of course, and willingness to put work in is one of the
> criteria to being nominated to the Committee of any volunteer
> organization.

> I have, however, heard from quite a few people who indicate a
> willingness to participate and contribute. You don't have to be on
> the [managing] Committee [aka Board] of an organization to make a
> difference!

Case in point: MissKim - no board/committee, no formal organisation at
all, but she's certainly making a difference!

Note that she's both helping and being helped by LA, the ideal
circumstance.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA