[Linux-aus] Grant Application #2

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue May 20 09:19:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003 06:23, David Lloyd wrote:
> I am going to put my ballerina shoes and do pirouettes.

_Please_ no! (-:

> Not being an incorporated entity--and therefore a legal nobody--is
> worse.  Organisations can work well with a committee. The best thing
> about committees is that you generally have at least five to seven
> people who ensure things get done. This can also turn into you have
> five to seven people who get to do everything because noone else is
> willing to help.

/ME shutting up now. (-:

>> Also, shouldn't there be some sort of democratic vote?

There is. LA Ctte was elected on a vote. Non-obvious decisions are made
within Ctte on a vote.

> But then who counts the votes?

Officially, the Secretary (in the case of the election, Rusty :-)

> And what if a consensus can't be found?

Hasn't happened yet. If it does, more debate would ensue until someone
changed their mind. Otherwise, we all leave in a huff, stop talking to
each other, and any heirarchical worries are history. (-:

> Damn, someone would have to adjudicate the results.

The bastards! How could they? (-:

> But that's too hierarchical isn't it.

Three levels. Members, Committee, tiebreaker.

Anyone's welcome to get themselves elected (I rate my own election as
proof that anyone can). Anyone's welcome to contribute, too, with or
without office.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA