[Linux-aus] Grant Application #2

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Sun May 18 06:18:01 UTC 2003

Ummm...

> Do we really need a LA Committee?

I am going to put my ballerina shoes and do pirouettes. Mind you
pointing you at:

 * http://www.linux.org.au/org/constitution.phtml

...is probably more helpful.

> The beauty of Linux is its ability
> to allow people from any background to be able to contribute is it
> not?

In what way does Linux Australia (Inc) detract from this?

> Having a hierarchal structure hinders this in my opinion. What
> would they do anyway?

Not being an incorporated entity--and therefore a legal nobody--is
worse.  Organisations can work well with a committee. The best thing
about committees is that you generally have at least five to seven
people who ensure things get done. This can also turn into you have five
to seven people who get to do everything because noone else is
willing to help.

> Also, shouldn't there be some sort of democratic
> vote?

But then who counts the votes? And what if a consensus can't be found?
Damn, someone would have to adjudicate the results. But that's too
hierarchical isn't it.

> How would this work?

Like it has been...

DSL