[Linux-aus] LA Committee (was: Grant)

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue May 20 09:13:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003 00:17, Dai_Thai NGUYEN wrote:
> I've never
> really trusted beureaucrats/politicians and I doubt that I ever will.

That's well-placed trust. (-:

> Even when I have been involved in administration/management I've
> found that internal bickering between contrasting personalities leads
> to counter productivity.

I think in this place _very_ much not.

Disclaimer: I am an LA OCM. What I say will be biassed by this.

<speech soapbox=19-inch-rack>
I've worked with and in a few committees now, and the current LA
committee works singularly well. As with any organisation of any size,
some effort is "wasted" in conlict and in overheads. Unlike many of the
committees I've worked in, these differences are made productive, with
very little guarding-of-territory and no hackles-up factionation. Even
Hugh and Tridge, both of whom work with each other at IBM, have
distinct and different viewpoints, personalities and approaches (and it
must be said: evidently both have enormous depth of experience at
working with groups and committees, perhaps this helps more than it
shows).

Every person on that Committee has quite distinct wishes and priorities.
Every single person on that Committee has shown themselves willing,
even eager to give ground if a superior, or more practical, or simply
more popular option is advanced, or if real flaws and concerns are
unearthed in one of their own issues du jour. In this regard, we hew
closely to the "meritocracy" (seemed to be Word of the Day for Tridge
on Sunday) so dear to Linus' heart, and who better to establish the
character of a Linux-based group than Linus?

There are no dummies. There are no hyperegos. There are no knives in the
back. Pray that it stays that way! We have reps from big companies,
small companies, employees, males, females, four Australian states,
inner-city dwellers, country boys, programmers, managers. I suppose we
could do with Asian, Aboriginal and Negro representatives too, but
we're doing pretty well on all other fronts already.

So... nobody's perfect, Dai Thai Nguyen, but IMESHO opinion we've got a
good deal going for us so far, worth getting behind and pushing rather
than regarding with fear and trembling from the sidelines.
</speech> (-:

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA