[LACTTE] Re: [Linux-aus] Hardware Sponsorship for Hungry Hacker

Anand Kumria akumria at linux.org.au
Fri Mar 21 08:47:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 10:48:32AM +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
> Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >For a long time it seems, Linux Australia has wanted to get involved in
> >support of Open Source developers in Australia. I'm hoping that the new
> >committee is also interested in working on this, and I'd like to offer a
> >test case of sorts. :-)
> >

> This particular request looks like a good idea.  Does LA have a policy
> on this?

At the moment, no.

> Guidelines to weed out frivolous requests and help projects
> put forward proposals/ requests?

We are currently thinking up some - perhaps you have some thoughts on
things you'd be willing to share?

> If LA decides to respond to requests
> like this how do we ensure the hard won funds are not frittered away?

Well, I think we must respond (even if to decline) - as to the latter
question I think that boils down to trusting the requester I guess.

> Should there be a formal budget for this sort of thing or just offer
> financial (or other) support on an ad hoc basis?

There isn't a formal budget for this type of task/activity, so it is
ad-hoc. I think for the moment these should be addressed on a case by
case basis.

I suspect having a budget for supporting useful activites may constrain
us. Do we reject supporting useful activites just because our budget for
it has been exceeded even if we have funds available?

Regards,
Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never