[Linux-aus] Hardware Sponsorship for Hungry Hacker

Pia Smith pia at linux.org.au
Thu Mar 20 20:36:36 UTC 2003

Hi Tim,

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 13:48, Tim Bowden wrote:

> This particular request looks like a good idea.  Does LA have a policy
> on this?  Guidelines to weed out frivolous requests and help projects
> put forward proposals/ requests?  If LA decides to respond to requests
> like this how do we ensure the hard won funds are not frittered away?
>  Should there be a formal budget for this sort of thing or just offer
> financial (or other) support on an ad hoc basis?

We are putting together a proposal for this kind of scheme. Perhaps budgeting for this would be the best way to go about it. This year will be a testing ground for this kind of scheme, so I think to start we lay down some guidelines, and encourage people to approach us.

A few thoughts have come up as to methods for doing this fairly, and
with justification. One of our aims is to help innovate and support our
community, and some great suggestions have been made as to how we can
help with this. Competition/prizes, scholarships, responding to specific
needs (such as web hosting, or, in this case maybe hardware), or
sponsoring an event that a group may want to run.

We'll be announcing something more official soon, but in the meantime,
if people have some good ideas how we can all delegate money in a way
most useful to our community, please let us know.

Thankyou all, looking forward to some positive feedback :)

Pia

--
Pia Smith <pia at linux.org.au>