[Linux-aus] Re: [LACTTE] Hardware Sponsorship for Hungry Hacker

Anand Kumria akumria at linux.org.au
Sun Mar 23 10:06:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 05:06:02PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a long time it seems, Linux Australia has wanted to get involved in
> support of Open Source developers in Australia. I'm hoping that the new
> committee is also interested in working on this, and I'd like to offer a
> test case of sorts. :-)
>
> Some HP hardware has been offered for sale on one of the SLUG lists, which
> could be put to great use helping the GNOME project with portability and
> availability of binaries for that platform. Stephen Grady (who is selling
> the machine) has offered a 16GB drive array as part of the deal - this would
> greatly assist Australian GNOME developers as an FTP mirror and anonymous
> CVS server. Additionally, it will allow me to perfect our somewhat haphazard
> FTP and anoncvs mirroring facilities to benefit hackers around the world
> (I'm also a GNOME sysadmin, and would dearly like to fix these problems).
>
> Sun Microsystems have donated two Ultra1 systems to the build effort (sadly
> lacking significant storage space - the HP bits will help there), whilst
> ProgSoc at UTS has offered hosting for the machines.
>
> I think this is a good test case, because it has appreciable benefits for
> both Australian and international Open Source efforts, will be supported by
> other organisations (progsoc), and is very low cost -> Stephen is selling
> the machine and array for $240.

Since I know Jeff, am acting (on behalf of ProgSoc) and am treasurer of
Linux Australia it is more appropriate I abstain from any discussion /
decision involving your request.

I expect that if the rest of committee haven't finished discussing this
then it'll be raised at the next meeting we have.

Good luck,
Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never