[Linux-aus] Did SCO Violate the GPL?

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Wed Jun 11 19:35:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 11:47:15AM +1000, Chris Samuel wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 Jun 2003 11:32 am, Leon Brooks wrote:
>
> >   http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1123176,00.asp
>
> I've still had no response from SCO about my request for the GPL'd code in the
> Linux kernel (and that was just from a hunch, not from any evidence).

and more:

 http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9952

 The evidence for this seems to be sections of exact identical code right
 down to the variable names and comments. Gee, where have we heard claims
 like this, recently?

 From SCO, claiming that Linux somehow contains bits of their holy Sys V
 code, that's where. How SCO could sue IBM after doing this is... simply,
 splutter, spit... nothing less than mind-blowingly, outrageous brass!

 SCO might just give Eben Moglen of the Free Software Foundation what he
 has been seeking for years, a cornered victim willing opponent to test the
 enforceability of the GPL in court. In all previous instances, infringers
 have resolved their GPL related issues quietly.

 Ahem, yes. How much trouble might SCO be facing? What does this mean?

 How major, you ask? Well, for starters everyone who owns a copy of Linux
 will be able to sue SCO for withholding that source code in violation of
 the GPL, and -- should SCO's misappropriation be shown -- likely win.

 By anyone's count, the population that owns Linux is in the millions.

con