[Linux-aus] Did SCO Violate the GPL?

Jan Schmidt thaytan at mad.scientist.com
Wed Jun 11 21:14:02 UTC 2003

<quote who="Con Zymaris">

>  How major, you ask? Well, for starters everyone who owns a copy of Linux
>  will be able to sue SCO for withholding that source code in violation of
>  the GPL, and -- should SCO's misappropriation be shown -- likely win.
>
>  By anyone's count, the population that owns Linux is in the millions.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the GPL is that you
have to make source code available to users of the binary should they want
it, and they have to make it available to anyone else they give the binary
to... which means I'm not entitled to sue SCO, since I never bought a copy
of their Unix, and am therefore not 'a user of the binaries'.

J.
Jan Schmidt                                  thaytan at mad.scientist.com

Homer: "No TV and No Beer make Homer something something"
Marge: "Go Crazy?"
Homer: "Don't mind if I do! aaaarrrarrgghar!"