[Linux-aus] Minutes - 20030517 Summary (Face to Face meeting)

Pia Smith greebo at pacific.net.au
Thu Jul 3 20:13:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 18:43, Bret Busby wrote:

> It has since occurred to me, that it would be a good idea to do a survey
> of members of the various Linux-oriented organisations and mailing lists
> in the country, to see who has what qualifications, especially
> certifications in Linux, and Linux oriented application, competency, and
> from whence the qualifications/certifications, were obtained. It sounds
> like an appropriate task for LinuxAus.

Sounds like a great idea! It would certainly be interesting to get some
_real_ information from the community. How would you feel about writing
up a survey and we could distribute it? Maybe LinMagAu could have a poll
of this flavour in its next edition (no collating of info, easy to fill
out, would rock way hard :) Kim? If we do the work how would linmagau
feel about this.

> It would be a good starting point, to see how many have what
> qualifications/certifications, and from where, then to use that as a
> starting point, on the path to promoting qualifications in
> Linux-oriented competency.

It would also be good to get some numbers about what distros people use,
the knowledge base in Australia, amount of people who get paid to work
in OSS as opposed to those who don't get paid for their contributions,
favourite certifications if any, etc.

Definately food for thought.

Cheers,
Pia