[Linux-aus] Minutes - 20030517 Summary (Face to Face meeting)

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Jul 3 16:31:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 2 Jul 2003, Pia Smith wrote:
>

> > Meeting minutes - Summarised for easy reading.
> >
> > The official meeting minutes are posted to
> > http://www.linux.org.au/minutes for your convenience!
> >
> > http://www.linux.org.au/minutes/030517_Committee_Meeting_Minutes.html
> >
> > 1. All official business was reviewed and approved
> >
> > 2. LPI
> > Invited Greg Wright to speak about LPI and discussed LA and LPI working
> > together. Yet to contact Red Hat and some other vendors for similar
> > affiliation.
> >

> I have just found the following web page, and am wondering what
> other people think about the courses, and whether anyone on this list,
> has done any of these courses.
>
> http://oreilly.useractive.com/courses/catalog.php3
>
> The web programming certificate series and the UNIX system
> administration certificate series, appear to be Linux/UNIX-based.
>
> Whilst the SQL component appears to be MySQL-based, I think that appears
> to be the only brand-specific component.

It has since occurred to me, that it would be a good idea to do a survey
of members of the various Linux-oriented organisations and mailing lists
in the country, to see who has what qualifications, especially
certifications in Linux, and Linux oriented application, competency, and
from whence the qualifications/certifications, were obtained. It sounds
like an appropriate task for LinuxAus.

It would be a good starting point, to see how many have what
qualifications/certifications, and from where, then to use that as a
starting point, on the path to promoting qualifications in
Linux-oriented competency.

I understand, for example, that, apart from the above, PostgreSQL
Inc offers certifications in PostgreSQL competency, relating to DBA's,
and, Software Developers.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale