[Linux-aus] Linux trade advertising - was Re: [Linux-aus] RE:women at the keyboard

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Fri Feb 21 15:06:01 UTC 2003

<quote who="Bret Busby">

> Actually, in thinking about it, this is perhaps something that the Linux
> community, including the LUG's and their mailing lists, could consider.
> Example; Yopper, a NZ Linux distribution was released. We saw no
> discussion of it on the PLUG list; no evaluation, no comparisons, etc.
> But, we have a steady flow of messages "Microsoft are slimeballs
> because...", and, "Look at what Microsoft are up to now...".

Sounds like a local cultural issue. SLUG relegates discussion of Microsoft
and similarly "off-topic" material (including politics, four wheel drives,
anything unrelated to Open Source & Free Software) to our slug-chat mailing
list.

It has taken a few flame wars, but has wildly improved the signal to noise
ratio on the list, and killed off a lot of the "negative advocacy".

- Jeff

--
  I wonder how many bugs have gone unfixed due to misspellings of "FIXME".