[Linux-aus] Linux trade advertising - was Re: [Linux-aus] RE:women at the keyboard

Rick Marshall rjm at zenucom.com
Fri Feb 21 15:24:02 UTC 2003

we spend a fair bit of time beating each other up as well. redhat?
debian? slackware? who cares?

i build business solutions for clients using the best available tools.
so let's discuss some of those issues and understand better why we have
(hopefully) better software.

eg for me, being able to write small cooperating programs is essential
to the operatin of large distributed systems; m$ didn't invent java
(.net, asp, etc are all responses to oss initiatives); php, tcl, perl,
and their associated communities are great examples of what oss can do.
not to mention that this is real reusable code.

gnome, kde, blue curve(?), are all better user interfaces. open office
is great as are abiword etc.

after wasting a week on outlook problems one of my offsiders has thrown
it out and uses squirrel mail - and only keeps xp for user support
issues.

so it might sound arrogant, but i really don't care what bill or m$ do,
and my clients only care that i deliver the best solutions.

long winded, but i want to say i agree and can we focus on helping each
other do a better job - be known by the quality of our work (to
paraphrase a religious leader)

rick

--
Rick Marshall <rjm at zenucom.com>