[Linux-aus] Funding a real job database

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Feb 17 12:38:01 UTC 2003

On Monday 17 February 2003 09:44 am, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Leon Brooks">
>> ...also, if what we're ramping up to is going to be worthwhile, we should
>> probably ask (not demand) at least a minimal fee from people who benefit
>> through it. If we asked an employer for $200 for each hiree, and
>> contractors for 10%-of-profit-with-$200-ceiling, this would be
>> ridiculously cheap compared to standard head-hunting companies, and
>> rolling over a mere two jobs a week would pay for a part-time admin at
>> those rates.

> I try very hard not to be a source of negative energy on this list. However
> (you knew that was coming), this all sounds a bit grandiose and out of
> scope for Linux Australia. 'Simple, casual and commitment-free' has kept
> SLUG out of silly ventures for a long time - perhaps that tenet could be
> applied here. :-)

> (The idea is worthwhile, but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing LA
> should get involved with.)

That's reasonable, we're not interested in dot-COM-ish over-reach and it would
take a while (equals spending for a long time) to build credibility.

The alternative is to identify and recommend a corporate who would do
essentially the same thing. And charge an arm and a leg, if that matters. If
mid to large corporate and government penetration is important to LA, a
respectable work-and-body router of some form becomes necessary.

Face, in this arena, is more important than performance, for getting your foot
in the door. What we need to do is wrap our existing performers (who will
deliver) in presentation garb (so we have an opportunity to deliver). Put it
this way: would the Department of Premier and Cabinet be keen on hiring
somebody from perkypants.org? Even cyberknights.com.au is a luck-pushing name
in this kind of field. Yet in terms of getting things done, the president of
SLUG and `worse-half'-of-LA-Prez must be at least a reasonable choice.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia