[Linux-aus] Funding a real job database

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Mon Feb 17 09:45:01 UTC 2003

<quote who="Leon Brooks">

> ...also, if what we're ramping up to is going to be worthwhile, we should
> probably ask (not demand) at least a minimal fee from people who benefit
> through it. If we asked an employer for $200 for each hiree, and contractors
> for 10%-of-profit-with-$200-ceiling, this would be ridiculously cheap
> compared to standard head-hunting companies, and rolling over a mere two jobs
> a week would pay for a part-time admin at those rates.

[ snip other bits ]

I try very hard not to be a source of negative energy on this list. However
(you knew that was coming), this all sounds a bit grandiose and out of scope
for Linux Australia. 'Simple, casual and commitment-free' has kept SLUG out
of silly ventures for a long time - perhaps that tenet could be applied
here. :-)

(The idea is worthwhile, but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing LA
should get involved with.)

- Jeff

--
     "Funny, I have no trouble distinguishing my mobile phone from the
       others because it's in my _own fucking pocket_!" - Mobile Rage