[Linux-aus] Re: [LACTTE] Website

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Fri Feb 7 09:00:01 UTC 2003

On Friday 07 February 2003 03:45 am, Pia Smith wrote:
> What I would like to do is a database
> backend for the vendors and lug stuff, a registration page for
> members/affiliates/corporate (whatever groups we end up deciding on)
> that basically puts all requests into a temporary location with a web
> admin frontend that posts to the committee list (or we have 2 or 3
> people dedicated to this, one is not useful as they may be away) when
> new requests arrive.

I think Jeremy/LinuxConsultants/SLPWA's registry does most if not all of this
already. Permission to CC?

> I'm thinking about starting the web site from scratch, a brand new
> interface on it, and then add stuff as we go. That way it is _really_
> obvious we are doing stuff, and people will be checking out the web site
> to see where it is up to. I was thinking of just updating and improving
> the old web site, but then its not obvious what is new, and its not so
> interesting to keep an eye on.

How about a blog-style system like PLUG uses? http://plug.linux.org.au/

I'd also favour overlaying the existing system with a blog, rather than
replacing it, since there is some valuable information tucked away in there,
and no point in busting other peoples' links without good reason either.

> Leon if you are interested in
> this let me know and we'll organise to jump on IRC or something. Also if
> anyone else wants to work on it, give me a yell. I'm not taking the role
> of webmaster, more like web-organiser :)

I can chip in things here and there, but for a few weeks at least taking on
the whole kaboodle would involve too big a dent in the rest of my life.

Cheers; Leon

http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia
http://linux.org.au/~leonb/lca2003/  THE Oz Linux Technical Conf: