[Linux-aus] Re: [LACTTE] Website

Robert Thomson rmt at linux.org.au
Fri Feb 7 10:34:02 UTC 2003

Vendors is 100% manual at the moment.
LUGs is .. interesting, but pretty much manual.
Jobs is DB backed and ok for publishing new jobs.

I wouldn't want to break links or lose content at this stage.
Although I think with a plan it'd be possible to make obvious
progression without any negative impact.  New homepage + spruce up the
rest of the site (match colours/layout more or less), then start
replacing components of the site.

I recommend no javascript, straight forward navigation (see useit.org
for some good ideas), PNGs in preference to GIFs where appropriate
(popularise PNGs, encourage new browsers), but a professional design
with a fun feel to it if poss.

Blog's ok - just so long as it's something different from every other
blog out there.

I recommend a good selection of links to interesting Linux pages.
games sites, sites with lots of screenshots, graphics, audio, desktop,
server, & links to a bunch of distributions.  All the common Q's that
are sent to committee@ or webmaster@ should be able to be answered on
the website.  Hell, I'd even include an educated estimate of Linux use
in Australia, & the world.  Up to the minute member count.  I'm sure
there's plenty more that can be added.. but likewise we don't want to
overwhelm someone who just arrives at the website having no idea about
Linux.  The "What is Linux?" link should stay & be prominent.

Cheers,
    Rob.

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 09:03:11AM +0800, Leon Brooks uttered:

--
If the English language made any sense, lackadaisical would have something
to do with a shortage of flowers.