[Linux-aus] Representation

Daniel Stone dstone at trinity.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Feb 3 11:33:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:43:28PM +1100, Robert Thomson scrawled:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 11:40:30AM +1100, Con Zymaris uttered:
> > If this is part of the LA charter, this is seriously anachronistic and
> > would need to be changed.  As an organisation that doesn't charge
> > membership fees, and can therefore not cover the costs of ferrying exec
> > board members in from interstate, this approach just can't fly as is.
>
> While there is currently no formal method in place for
> non-conference-attendee membership, there is such a thing, in that I
> paid a membership fee to the treasurer in order to make nominations &
> cast an absentee vote.  A formalised method for voting (including
> absentee voting) would be nice, too, as I'm given the impression it
> was a tad ad hoc this year.

16:20 < DanS> basically i'm putting in an absentee nomination for the LA
board
17:04 < rmt> DanielS: I know why you're ineligible.
17:05 < DanielS> Because I'm not in Perth?
17:05 < rmt> No, because you're not a Linux Australia member.
17:05 < DanielS> Err ...
[snip]
17:06 < rmt> By registering for LCA2003, you automatically become a
member.
17:06 < rmt> (and paying :)
17:06 < DanielS> I'd grep +sent, but I've too much real work to
do.
17:09 < rmt> DanielS: LA handles the finances for LCA. By registering
for LCA2003, you automatically become a member of LA.
17:10 < rmt> What that membership might give you? That will be discussed
somewhat tonight, and more on the mailing lists.

It would take me too long to grep through my IRC logs, but the basic
answer you gave me was "no". This conflicts with what you're saying
here.

Either I was maliciously provided incorrect information, preventing me
from nominating for the board, or there is a serious irregularity in the
procedures, resulting in the election to the board of someone who
should, by all rights, be ineligible.

I'm sick of shit like this, Rob.

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone at trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne