[Linux-aus] Pronounciation guide - Lie-nix or Lynix?

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Thu Dec 18 12:13:01 UTC 2003

<quote who="Caroline Gordon">

> I always thought the correct way to pronounce Linux is with the "i" short
> like "in". It seems most of the world use a long i as in bifold.
>
> Just interested if there is any consensus amongst you guys what is
> "correct"

An old client of mine, who got into this stuff pretty heavily [1] explained
it to his boss as: "Lin as in Windows, ux as in Sucks". That seemed to work
for him. :-)

- Jeff (not in the habit of flaming Windows)

[1] Who has subsquently left his job and is doing FOSS consulting in the
same market. Cool!

   "PHP, when it first came out, didn't really have any merits, and many
    claim it still doesn't, but it filled a void where a simple tool to
            perform a simple task was needed." - Rasmus Lerdorf