[Linux-aus] Pronounciation guide - Lie-nix or Lynix?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Dec 18 14:47:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Caroline Gordon wrote:

> I always thought the correct way to pronounce Linux is with the "i"
> short like "in". It seems most of the world use a long i as in bifold.
>
> Just interested if there is any consensus amongst you guys what is "correct"
>

> Thanks
>
> Caroline

This sounds like bait for a flame-war, or trolling.
:)

I pronounce it as linnix, and my understanding is that Linux Torvalds
pronounces it as leenooks.

It can also be pronounced lie-nix, lie-nooks, and lie-nukes, lee-nix,
and lee-nukes.

I suppose the yanks would prefer something that ends with nukes (now,
that sounds appropriate for them - wanting to end everything with
nukes), but then, we can't do much about that.

But, what really matters, is that people know what you are talking
about, however you pronounce it.

I will be sticking with linnix, as people who know of Linux, know to
what I am referring, and it is easy enough to write it down, for those
who don't.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale