[Linux-aus] Pronounciation guide - Lie-nix or Lynix?

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Thu Dec 18 11:32:02 UTC 2003

Caroline Gordon wrote:

> I always thought the correct way to pronounce Linux is with the "i"
> short like "in". It seems most of the world use a long i as in bifold.
Whatever you are comfortable with. I notice some people use the
long i, but it sounds way too American to me. I don't want to
sound like Darl McBride.

I use short 'i' as in minix which seems logical given the
origins of Linux.

There is a wav on the net with Linus saying 'Hello this is Linus
Torvalds and I pronounce Linux as Linux". It sort of sounds like
a short "ee" sound. This was back when he was a swedish speaking
finlandic lad. Now he is all grown up and living in sunny
California, and apparently he now says his name the American
way, but says Linux more like minix.

Heaps of people on list would have met Linus and heard him talk
so perhaps they could correct me if I am wrong.