[Lias] Re: [acscomputers] Google rewrites?

Paul Gear pgear at redlands.qld.edu.au
Thu Jul 28 07:04:01 UTC 2005

Jonathon Coombes wrote:

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for the reply.

> I tried your rewrite rules above in my version of squidGuard (1.2.0-8)
> and I do not get an error like you, but it take the \1 as literal
> characters rather than the matching expression.

The error only shows up in syslog.  I think the problem is that my
system regex documentation is incorrect, and squidGuard was built with
only basic regular expression support from libc.

> Not sure if this is a
> bug or not, as they want redirects to supercede the use of rewrites,
> which is good for complete URLs, but not for regex matching.

If i use a redirect (r on the end of the expression), i see the
literal \1 exposed in the browser URL, too.

> An alternative solution may be suitable though considering that Google
> has the SafeSearch mode on by default. If you disable the access to the
> preference settings in Google, it should remain enabled.
>
> Block access to http://*.google.*/preferences.* and see how it goes.

Unfortunately, Google's default safesearch is moderate, and i want it
to be strict.  Even with moderate strict search on, a simple search
like "porn" ends up with lots of undesirable text on student screens.

One tactic i've had recommended is to block google completely unless
it has '&safe=strict' in it, then provide a search button on your
intranet that does this.  That seems overkill to me, as there should
be a way to do this.  I might have to look into squirm or something
like that instead.

--
Paul Gear, Manager IT Operations, Redlands College
38 Anson Road, Wellington Point 4160, Australia