[Lias] Re: [acscomputers] Google rewrites?

Paul Gear pgear at redlands.qld.edu.au
Wed Jul 27 11:35:02 UTC 2005

Jason Parlevliet wrote:
>>Anyone out there using squidGuard (or any other filter for that
>>matter) to force Google searches to strict safe search mode?  There
>>are a couple of recipes i found by searching, and they don't seem to
>>work - is anyone doing this successfully?
>
> Nope, I had been going to though, so if you find the answer we'd like
> to hear it.  I haven't used SG for about 18 months, but if memory serves
> it *should* have been as simple as SG rewriting the URL as
> %s&safe=active or something

Yes, but the exact method of rewriting is my issue at present.  I have
this in my squidGuard.conf:

rewrite google {
        s@(google.com/search.*q=.*)@\1\&safe=strict at i
        s@(google.com/images.*q=.*)@\1\&safe=strict at i
        s@(google.com/groups.*q=.*)@\1\&safe=strict at i
        s@(google.com/news.*q=.*)@\1\&safe=strict at i
        log google
}

and then 'rewrite google' later on in the acl section, but this is
producing the following error in syslog:

squid[12164]: urlParse: Illegal character in hostname
'www.\1\&safe=strict'

That looks to me like the substitution isn't happening, but i'm not
sure - the regex looks fine to me.

Can any of the LIAS folks offer a suggestion?

--
Paul Gear, Manager IT Operations, Redlands College
38 Anson Road, Wellington Point 4160, Australia