[Lias] Hi and Query Re GNU/Linux Project in Public High School, Darwin, NT, AU

Jonathon Coombes jon at cybersite.com.au
Thu Feb 12 14:38:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 12:36, Ben Minton wrote:
> Although the school has an Apple Macinstosh lab for graphics and Adobe
> Photoshop & Illustrator on the Win system, there is no ability to the
> students to get a copy of the software they use at school and load it onto
> their home PCs, thus limiting their potential to really explore and learn.
>
> While obviously The Gimp is not currently as sophisticated as some of the
> other vendors applications, it is capable with experience of very high
> quality effects and obviously is virtually, free.
>
> Has anyone heard of another person or organisation doing a similar type
> project, either here (AU) or elsewhere? I feel that some kids at this school
> may be missing out exposure to alternative and equally effective
> applications, due to financial constraints and the lack of publicity by the
> OSS Community.

Hi Ben,

We put together a cdrom for the art department at a high school. That
was a bit more generic that just art programs, but we have come across
a lot more programs that are quite nice in that field. The programs
I would suggest looking at are:

* GIMP 2	Photoshop type
* SodiPodi	Vector drawing like Illustrator
* Inkscape	Simplified interface from SodiPodi
* Autotrace	Convert raster to vector diagrams
* ImageMagik	For just about anything :)
* Blender3d	3D modelling and animation
* Cinellera	Video Editing and Production
* GPhoto2	Digital Camera interface and picture manipulation

Regards
Jonathon