[Lias] Hi and Query Re GNU/Linux Project in Public High School, Darwin, NT, AU

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Thu Feb 12 13:38:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:06, Ben Minton wrote:
> While obviously The Gimp is not currently as sophisticated as some of
> the other vendors applications, it is capable with experience of very
> high quality effects and obviously is virtually, free.

I would recomend GIMP 2 (current -pre2?) as it is closer to PhotoShop in
appearance, and much more capable in many little ways than GIMP 1.2
ever was.

Also... http://cyberknights.com.au/ps7-2.png

Handing out copies of the GnuWin2 CD is good juju in Microsoft-land, but
I don't think they have the latest-greatest GIMP on there yet.

Some of the graphics teachers might explore GIMP as an
alternate/variant/comparison to teach children that yes, there *is*
more than PhotoShop and a few of those will wind up using *just* GIMP
in some labs because it's more than good enough and doesn't cost limbs.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Vice President, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Past Committee Member, Linux Australia