[Lias] NAS/SAN storage recommendations?

Ian Ralph ian at sceggs.nsw.edu.au
Tue May 20 13:46:01 UTC 2003

About 12 months ago we purchased a NAS device through Verbatim called a FileZerver (approx $8,000). It turned out to be a Linux box with a raid controller and a web interface to a whole bunch of existing Linux tools and apps (Samba, rsync, LDAP, the various logs and the ability to mount all the file systems we use).

After a few months the mainboard and 2 of the 4 IDE HDDs failed and it was returned under warranty <lesson> Don't trust IDE drives for network critical devices</lesson>.

Verbatim was unable to fix it because the original manufacturer had ceased to trade - in short we were given a refund.

Knowing what I know now about how the FileZerver NAS device functioned I am going to build a Linux box that does all the same things, but at a fraction of the cost and with good SCSI disks.

I've had a look around for some sort of app that binds all these tools under one interface, just as in the FileZerver,  but without any luck. If anyone knows of an open source project that turns a Linux box into a NAS...

Ian