[Lias] NAS/SAN storage recommendations?

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Tue May 20 14:31:02 UTC 2003

The best tool is LINUX itself and perhaps SAMBA if you need to integrate
with Windows. There is a good web interface called Webmin for Linux which
will help with most of the things you have listed

As far as IDE drives go, we have had no significant failures - we do
upgrade or replace every two to three years, but usually beacuse we have
run out of space. I can put in a 120GB IDE drive for under $300, copy the
files regularly to another server elsewhere in the school onto another sub
$300 HDD. In fact the only catastophic failure we have had has been from a
SCSI. However if SCSI was as cheap as IDE I would use them.

Simon Bryan
IT Manager
OLMC Parramatta