[Lias] postfix

Adam Brown adam at freestream.com.au
Wed Oct 30 06:44:02 UTC 2002

Hi Parkes High School,

There are a number of things to try:

Can you ping the ip address of the mail server windows machine? If not you
need to get the basic network connectivity going.

Can you ping the mail server by name from the windows machine. If not, you
have an issue with DNS. What machine are the windows servers using for DNS?
You might like to try using the raw IP address of the mail server in the
windows mail settings.

Have you looked in the postfix logs in /var/log/mail.log, mail.warn, mail.err.

Have you configured postfix? The configuration file is /etc/postfix/main.cf
(or wherever Mandrake puts it).

Have you allowed access to the pop3 daemon in /etc/hosts.allow (or whatever
Mandrake uses).

Do you have a firewall and do the rules allow access to the pop(110) and
smtp(25) ports?

127.0.0.1 is not a local network address. Your machines need to have local ip
addresses like 192.168.X.X.

good luck,

Adam